Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
Me at a Comic Con

Monday 6 December 2010

Yet More fom the Reject pile (9 of 9,000)

Another 'rough' that I tried out on National Geographic Kids' magazine, after they asked me to come up with something, in 2008. I suppose I was thinking of the Look and Learn or World of Wonder approach, hence the fancy colouring (by me). Anyway, it was not to be- in fact I never heard back about this, so I guess it wasn't good enough. Nor my proposed follow ups, Mission Apollo, the Polynesians, Francis Drake, Magellan, etc etc.  And don't try reading the text, it's just there to look 'finished'!
Thinking about it, I shouldn't have been surprised I got nowhere with this, the editor in charge had been at Marvel UK previously! I should have known!!

2 comments:

Kid said...

Makes you wonder about the competence (not to mention the courtesy) of some editors, doesn't it? I once sent some sample pages to editors of various magazines at MARVEL and IPC - not my art, I hasten to add, but that of someone now working in the industry. The response was "not quite what we're looking for", etc., etc.

However, when the artist later showed the SAME pages to representatives of the SAME companies at a comic mart, he was offered work on the strength of them. Go figure, as our Yankee cousins say.

Hackers said...

Looks brill... submitting work is a total lottery - right person at the right time on the right day etc. :(